More

    Youth player hospitalised after drinking energy drinks

    A club have decided to issue a warning after a youth player was hospitalised after drinking energy drinks following a game of football.

    The teenager in Dublin was rushed to A&E after picking up alarming symptoms after having excessive amounts of the ‘Monster’ energy drinks.

    Castleknock Celtic’s U16s have sent out a warning after he spent a night in hospital for drinking two cans of energy drink he had bought from a local shop after a game of football among friends.

    www.fanbanter.co.uk – Fan reaction to the latest football news, gossip & funnies

    NFL Betting

    An assistant coach with the lad’s team, Lorcan O’Malley, said the boy was playing football and drank two bottles of a readily-available energy drink as a way to deal with dehydration.

    However afterwards, he became extremely unwell, experiencing discomfort.

    His parents decided he should go to Connolly Hospital after his tongue became swollen, causing him to not speak clearly and had numbness in his arms and face.

    The teenager was tested for drugs or alcohol in hospital, and tests came back negative.

    He was released the next day after being diagnosed with a ‘hemiplegic migraine’, which doctors feel was likely caused by the caffeine quantities in the energy drink.

    “It was a horrific experience for the boy and his family. It really shook them,” O’Malley said, and warned parents to be sure children and teenagers were hydrating with water while playing sport, especially during high summer.

    The non league club revealed: “In the last week a member of our u16s team was admitted to Connolly Hospital followed by admission to Temple St.

    “His presenting symptoms were swollen tongue and inability to speak clearly, he also had numbness in his arms and face.

    “He needed an MRI scan and a CAT scan. It wasn’t drink and it wasn’t drugs.

    “It was simply a guy who was dehydrated after playing football with his mates.”

    Thankfully the young lad has since made a full recovery with the club reminding all players that water is best to drink to remain hydrated.

    They added: “We really cannot understate the horror that it brought to the player and his family.

    “The diagnosis was hemiplegig migraine brought on by too much caffeine in his body. Player is now fully recovered.”

    The UK government banned the sale of energy drinks to under-16s last year.

    High-caffeine drinks were blocked from sale to the youngsters in a bid to end “unhealthy behaviours and deprivation”.



    Source link news

    Related articles

    Comments

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    Betting on Soccer

    Share article

    Latest articles

    Juventus reaches an agreement on personal terms with Man Utd outcast

    Transfer News June 13, 2024 - 7:00 pm Juventus has reached an agreement over personal terms with Mason Greenwood, as the Englishman is...

    Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce flaunt new Super Bowl rings as Chiefs put an end to Championship celebrations

    The Kansas City Chiefs unveiled their latest Super Bowl rings, commemorating their victory over the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl 58. The team...

    Friday bits: Olise, the Euros, Xabi Alonso

    Hello, happy Friday to you all. There’s not much going on, so this could well be a short blog. May I just say first and...

    2024/25 – Let’s get ready to crumble!

    submitted by /u/WasabiMadman Source link news

    A Liverpool supporter’s guide to Euro 2024 – 10 players, 7 teams, 3 captains

    A Liverpool supporter’s guide to Euro 2024 – 10 players, 7 teams, 3 captains Source link news
    Betting on Soccer

    Newsletter

    Subscribe to stay updated.