The coronavirus pandemic has made the transfer market uncertain — and you can find out when the windows open here — but here are the rumours floating around Europe’s big leagues and beyond.
TOP STORY: Chelsea agree fee to finally land Havertz
The report states that the Blues will pay an initial £72 million for the 21-year-old midfielder, but with add-ons their total outlay could reach £90m.
Wolves ready bid for Arsenal’s Maitland-Niles
The report suggests the clubs are in advanced talks for the versatile midfielder/full-back and that the deal would be for four years.
Arsenal are in desperate need to raise funds, and the report says Maitland-Niles won’t be part of Mikel Arteta’s plans. But Wolves boss Nuno Espirito Santo sees the England youngster as the type of role player he needs in light of the potential long-term absence of defender Jonny due to an ACL injury.
Julien Laurens reveals that a few clubs are interested in signing out-of-favour Barcelona forward Luis Suarez.
Suarez, Rakitic on list as Barca plan purge
The pressure is mounting on Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu to reduce the club’s astronomical wage bill with several top veteran players facing their marching orders.
Spanish outlet AS details how Barca’s €525m bill in total salaries is the highest in La Liga and due to a projected reduction in revenues because of the coronavirus pandemic, there is now a self-imposed strategy to reduce that amount.
The players had previously accepted a salary cut that totaled €32m during the stoppage in play earlier this year, but that appears to not have made a dent in the club’s operating costs.
Therefore, players like Luis Suarez (€23.4m), Sergio Busquets (€14.9m), Ivan Rakitic (€13.3m), Samuel Umtiti (€12m), Arturo Vidal (€9m) and Jordi Alba (€8.5m) could be among those who may be dealt to other clubs.
In fact, Suarez has reportedly been told by new Barca coach Ronald Koeman that he won’t be part of his plans next season. As for Rakitic, the Croatian sensation has been heavily linked with a move back to Sevilla FC.
– Italian outlet Tuttosport is reporting that Everton could send former Juventus striker Moise Kean out on loan … to Juventus! The 20-year-old has failed to settle in the Premier League and now Carlo Ancelotti could be on board to let him return to Turin where he impressed before leaving the Serie A giants.
– Leicester City midfielder James Maddison has signed a new contract to extend his stay at the King Power Stadium until at least 2024, the Premier League club said on Monday. The 23-year-old playmaker has made a huge impression since joining Leicester from Norwich City in 2018, scoring 16 goals in 76 appearances across all competitions.