More

    Newcastle to push ahead with move for Kalvin Phillips

    Newcastle United are planning to firm up their interest in Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips during the January transfer window, sources have confirmed to 90min.

    The Magpies are on the hunt for midfield reinforcements after marquee summer signing Sandro Tonali received a season-ending ban for betting offences.

    The club’s interest in Phillips pre-dates their knowledge that a suspension was on the horizon for Tonali, and 90min understands intermediaries have now informed Newcastle that Man City will allow him to leave in January.

    Financial Fair Play concerns mean Newcastle would rather take Phillips on an initial loan. Man City would be willing to sanction this, but only if such a deal comes with a purchase option.

    Miguel Almiron, Kalvin Phillips, Sergio Gomez

    Phillips’ only start of the season came at Newcastle / George Wood/GettyImages

    Though several clubs from across England and Europe – including Aston Villa, Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur, West Ham United, Borussia Dortmund and Juventus – have made enquiries about Phillips’ situation recently, Newcastle are believed to appeal to the 27-year-old.

    NFL Betting

    Phillips was keen to prove himself at Man City and had hoped to work his way back into the fold before Christmas, but it is becoming increasingly clear he is not in Pep Guardiola’s long-term plans.

    Though he has put his injury struggles of his first season at the Etihad Stadium behind him, Phillips has played just 215 minutes of football for Man City this season and has started just one game – which ironically was a 1-0 loss at Newcastle in round three of the Carabao Cup.

    Despite his game time being limited at club level, Phillips kept his place in Gareth Southgate’s England squad for all three international windows so far this season.

    Meanwhile, Newcastle are in talks with Feyenoord over ending Yankuba Minteh’s loan spell in January. The winger recently spent time back on Tyneside undergoing treatment on a hamstring injury, and his parent club have been impressed with his form over in the Netherlands.

    READ THE LATEST NEWS FROM 90MIN’S TALKING TRANSFERS TEAM

    Source link news

    Related articles

    Comments

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    Betting on Soccer

    Share article

    Latest articles

    ‘He Said Avoid Who?’ ‘Arsenal In Europe Is A Joke’ City Fans React As Joleon Lescott Makes Champions League Draw Claim

    Ex-Manchester City defender Joleon Lescott says he is confident that his former team can win back-to-back Champions League titles as long as they “avoid”...

    Leeds transfer in doubt as player flops after medical condition

    Marc Roca’s expected permanent transfer to Real Betis has been thrown into doubt.After enjoying an impressive spell during the first half...

    Man Utd have been saved by Ten Hag’s best deal yet who cost £0

    Manchester United’s dream of achieving Champions League football this season is becoming...

    Man United among favourites to sign Chelsea target | Shoot

    Manchester United will hope to return to winning ways when they face Everton on Saturday afternoon.  The Red Devils were dominated by...
    Betting on Soccer

    Newsletter

    Subscribe to stay updated.