Date published: Wednesday 26th August 2020 8:52
Man Utd have been told a consistent performer “won’t like” the consequences of the club’s latest business, while no fewer than seven stars have been namechecked as possible summer exits.
The Red Devils have been conspicuous by their relatively low-key summer window thus far.
Their pursuit of England superstar Jadon Sancho has continued to hit hurdle after hurdle. Though the bombshell dropped by Lionel Messi has sparked rumours of a switch to Old Trafford amid the club’s first contact.
Away from the transfer headlines, Man Utd moved quickly to tie down impressive young stopper Dean Henderson.
The 23-year-old impressed mightily in a loan spell with Sheffield Utd, and was rewarded handsomely with a bumper new five-year deal on vastly improves terms.
That piece of business is unlikely to put a smile on Sergio Romero’s face, however. The Argentine will now drop further down the pecking order if Henderson isn’t loaned out once more.
Now, speaking on Sky Sports’ The Transfer Show, transfer expert Dharmesh Sheth said of Man Utd’s business: “It’s understandable that Man Utd fans, watching the likes of Chelsea, are asking when they’re going to get their business done.
“The messages we’re getting from Old Trafford if that they’re quite relaxed about the situation.
“Jadon Sancho remains their No. 1 target but other areas they might want to improve are central defence and midfield.
“But with the big signings, it’s likely that – as with every other club given the financial impact of the pandemic – they will have to generate funds with sales.
“Diogo Dalot, Sergio Romero, Andreas Pereira, Jesse Lingard, Marcos Rojo, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones are players they could be open to selling.”
Romero would perhaps be the most surprising exit given his faultless service when called upon.
Sheth added: “This is no ordinary reserve goalkeeper. He’s been at Man Utd for five seasons, made 61 appearances and kept 39 clean sheets.
“It’s likely now that’s he’ll drop to number three in the pecking order and he’s not going to like that.
“This is a guy who, until very recently, was Argentina’s No. 1.
“You’d think, given his record, that he’d do a job for a number of Premier League clubs.
“He’s entering the final year of his contract. Man Utd have the option of a further year so they have enough time to get a bit of money.”
Man Utd to go back in for Monaco man?
Manchester United have seen an opening €25m bid for Benoit Badiashile rejected by Monaco, according to reports in France.
United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is seeking to bolster his central defensive options this summer. Harry Maguire remains a mainstay in the defence, but the jury remains out on Victor Lindelof as his partner. The Swede was seen rowing with Bruno Fernandes after their Europa League hopes were ended by Sevilla.
Any deal though is likely to come at a record price for United. Therefore, any deal for a centre-back is likely to be more modest. United had been in the hunt for Gabriel Magalhaes, until he opted for Arsenal in a €30m.
After failing to land the Brazilian, United have instead turned their attention of Badiashile, instead.