More

    Liverpool condemn ‘wholly unacceptable’ scenes as fans celebrate title win

    Liverpool Football Club have condemned the behaviour of a number of their supporters following scenes in Liverpool city centre to celebrate the club’s title win.

    During football’s Coronavirus enforced shutdown, Mayor of Liverpool Joe Anderson had expressed his concerns about playing out the remainder the season amid concerns that fans would congregate to celebrate what was an inevitable title victory.

    At the time, Liverpool said that they were ‘disappointed’ by Anderson’s comments, while Supporters group Spirit of Shankly said there was ‘no evidence’ that Reds fans would ignore the country’s social distancing protocols.

    However, as the Merseyside outfit were finally crowned champions of England on Thursday night, that is exactly what happened.

    Man City’s defeat to Chelsea prompted thousands of fans to gather outside Anfield to celebrate the clubs first league title in 30 years, with a further gathering happening on Friday night by the City’s Pier Head.

    However, videos from Friday’s gathering showed Liverpool fans firing rockets towards the City’s iconic Liver Building, a building which is partly owned by Everton owner, Farhad Moshiri, the building being illuminated in both Red and Blue.

    NFL Betting

    Firefighters had to attend the scene after a piece of astroturf outside the building caught fire, with police now being granted emergency powers to disperse further gatherings over the weekend.

    Alongside the City Council, the Police, and the aforementioned fan group, Liverpool have now released a strongly worded condemnation of the scenes within the city, reminding fans that such gatherings increase the ‘potential danger of a second peak of COVID-19’ within the city, which was already been ‘disproportionately affected’ by the pandemic.

    “Throughout the last week, Liverpool Football Club, Merseyside Police, Liverpool City Council and Spirit of Shankly have worked together to consistently remind people that the region is still disproportionately affected by the COVID-19 pandemic and ask people to celebrate LFC’s Premier League title win safely,” a joint statement reads.

    “Several thousand people turned up at the Pier Head on Friday June 26 and some chose to ignore the social distancing guidance and risk public safety.

    “Our city is still in a public health crisis and this behaviour is wholly unacceptable.

    “The potential danger of a second peak of COVID-19 still exists and we need to work together to make sure we don’t undo everything that has been achieved as a region during lockdown.

    “When it is safe to do so, we will all work together to arrange a victory parade when everyone can come together to celebrate. Until that time, the safety of our city and our people continues to be our number one priority.”

    How Jurgen Klopp unshackled the burden of history to guide Liverpool to the title

    See also – Rating all of Liverpool’s managers in the Premier League era

    Be sure to follow The Football Faithful on: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

    Source link news

    Related articles

    Comments

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    Betting on Soccer

    Share article

    Latest articles

    2021 Ghana Premier League: WAFA v Bechem United matchday 19 preview

    WAFA aim to get back to winning ways at they host Bechem United at the Red Bull arena in Sogakope on Sunday afternoon. The Academy...

    Havertz shows class as irresistible Chelsea put Crystal Palace to the sword

    Kai Havertz produced his best display in a Chelsea shirt yet as the Blues recorded a convincing victory over Crystal Palace. With their West Brom...

    Steve Bruce, 6 tubes of Pringles and a crate of Carling

    It was another classic from Steve Bruce. The Newcastle United Head Coach speaking ahead of this weekend’s Premier League action. We have already...

    The modern day Gareth Bale?

    It was a moment which caused every commentator in England to subconsciously utter the phrase, "Who else but Trent Alexander-Arnold?" The 22-year-old went from...
    Betting on Soccer

    Newsletter

    Subscribe to stay updated.

    Get all the Soccers update on your hand. Always touch with Soccer