More

    Harry Maguire conviction ‘no longer recognised in law’

    Date published: Thursday 27th August 2020 9:34

    Harry Maguire’s conviction in Greece is “no longer recognised in law” as a result of lodging an appeal, a leading barrister has said.

    The Manchester United defender is appealing a decision made against him in a court on the Greek island of Syros.

    Maguire was handed a suspended 21-month prison sentence following an incident on the island of Mykonos last week.

    NFL Betting

    The 27-year-old was found guilty of assaulting a police officer, swearing, resisting arrest and attempted bribery.

    He has since vowed to clear his name.

    After the appeal was accepted, United said in a statement: “In accordance with the Greek judicial process, the filing of an appeal extinguishes the initial court verdict and nullifies the conviction.

    “The appeal has been accepted and will lead to a full retrial in a more senior court.

    “This means that Harry has no criminal record and is once again presumed innocent until proven guilty. Accordingly, he is not subject to any international travel restrictions.”

    Explaining the process, leading barrister Paula Rhone-Adrien spoke to the PA news agency.

     

    “Yes the proceedings have been nullified,” he said. “But this simply means the conviction is no longer recognised in law.

    “Maguire is going to be given an opportunity to state why the court was wrong to have found him guilty. Everyone is entitled to a right to appeal a decision made against them.”

    This, “in essence”, means Maguire is innocent unless the appeal hearing finds him guilty.

    Mrs Rhone-Adrien said: “It’s a complete retrial and he will even be able to adduce fresh evidence if he needs too.”

     

    Maguire appeal process explained

    The appeal will be heard by Greece’s indictment division. It could in theory, although unlikely, take place on the mainland. Maguire could choose to appear personally or appear through his legal team.

    The appeals process in Greece is a long one. Some cases can take one to three years to go through the system.

    “Much depends on the offence, the location of the court and whether or not the defendant is in custody,” Mrs Rhone-Adrien said.

    Maguire is now back in the UK.

    The initial proceedings in Maguire’s case progressed quickly. However, due process for the less-serious offences – classed as “misdemeanours”, of which he was charged – was followed according to Mrs Rhone-Adrien.

    She said: “In Greece they have a system that where an officer arrests someone who has been ‘caught in the act’ of committing a criminal offence, the procedure can move very quickly. This is regular occurence where the offence is a misdemeanour.

    “The proceedings have to then be placed before a three-bench court within 48 hours. A judgement can then be delivered on the investigation that took place. This procedure is totally normal and was not used simply because of who Maguire is.”

     

    Source link news

    Related articles

    Comments

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    Betting on Soccer

    Share article

    Latest articles

    Klopp points to ‘crime’ which forced Solskjaer team selection

    Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp insists there is no animosity towards Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer for fielding a weakened team against Leicester as...

    FIFA Futsal World Cup 2021 – News – FIFA Futsal WC 2021 Challenge mobile game launches

    New puzzle game encourages futsal fun ahead of FIFA Futsal World Cup Lithuania 2021™ Casual puzzle game introduces futsal in entertaining...

    NWSL announces new broadcast schedule for 2021 season

    The National Women’s Soccer League has announced the new broadcast schedule for the upcoming 2021 season. After a successful 2020 run, the league partnered...

    ‘No hints or signals’ that Arsenal will reignite their interest in Buendia

    Buendia not been contactedArsenal will be looking for an attacking midfielder this summer with Martin Odegaard set to return to Real Madrid.Arteta likes the...

    “There’s A Calculation Being Made” Journalist Reveals Why City Are Still Yet To Make A Decision On 129M Bid

    Manchester City have still not decided whether they will make an offer for Borussia Dortmund striker Erling Haaland, according to journalist Duncan Castles. Speaking on...
    Betting on Soccer

    Newsletter

    Subscribe to stay updated.

    Get all the Soccers update on your hand. Always touch with Soccer