Date published: Saturday 8th August 2020 1:31
Borussia Dortmund have told Jadon Sancho that the failure of Manchester United to sign him this summer will bring with it a big new reward.
Various reports have offered updates on the ever-changing situation, with one source revealing how Man Utd could structure the huge deal.
However, earlier this week it was claimed the deal was in ‘jeopardy’ over Dortmund’s unwillingness to compromise on the deal. In the article, it was reported United could walk away over ‘unrealistic demands’ made by the Bundesliga club.
As a result, United were then said to have made a firm enquiry for Federico Chiesa, though this has since been rejected.
With most of the noise being made from United’s perspective, Dortmund, for their part had maintained a dignified silence over proceedings.
That was until Wednesday night when two prominent figures at the club had their say.
Speaking to German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung, a very different picture was painted.
MD Hans-Joachim Watzke said: “So far, there has been no contact between Dortmund and United in terms of Sancho.”
His statement is qualified with: “Also not indirectly or through alleged intermediaries.”
Those sentiments are echoed by sporting director, Michael Zorc. He even hinted the club expect Sancho to attend their impending training camp.
Indeed, it all seems to lend itself to United trying to play games over Sancho’s fee.
However, Kicker are adamant that Dortmund will not be moved from their €120m valuation.
Furthermore, the report claimed United have set themselves up for a ‘fundamental error’ if their plan is to wait for Dortmund to drop the price.
Now on Saturday, the turf war over Sancho appears to have continued with Dortmund further cranking up the pressure.
According to BILD, Dortmund are prepared to offer Sancho a significant wages rise were his move to fail. The 20-year-old already earns around £180,000 a week on the deal he signed in 2018.
But they have dangled the carrot of a payrise – believed to be another £40,000 a week – were he to stay and commit to an extension.
Whether Sancho signs that extension remains to be seen, however. His current deal with Dortmund expires in 2022. That would mean they would likely cash in next summer were the 20-year-old to snub the offer.
Solskjaer ‘wrong’ to target Sancho
Former United coach Rene Meulensteen says Solskjaer should have targeted a move for Harry Kane instead of Sancho.
Speaking to talkSPORT, Meulensteen said a move for Kane would have made more sense than for Sancho.
“They’re bringing Jadon Sancho in, but more than anything, I would have gone for a more prolific out-and-out striker, somebody like Harry Kane,” the Dutchman said.
“There is so much creativity coming from midfield with [Bruno] Fernandes, [Paul] Pogba, [Marcus] Rashford, [Anthony] Martial… they can all contribute to goalscoring.
“But [they need] somebody in the middle who’s going to score 25-plus goals. That will close the gap for United.”